Tuesday, August 3, 2010

sleepy times

well, my little man lucas has graduated. sort of. graduated out of his crib, anyway. he was still cool with it, but at 4 1/2, it seemed like we were holding onto babyhood a little too tightly...

he's been in his big boy bed for about a week. he seems to like it pretty well. hasn't been upset about being put to bed in it... until last night. i tucked him in and he snuggled under the covers, but before i could blink he had bounced back out and was in the bathroom. i tucked him in again. and he was back out cavorting with animal toys. bed, again. then, demanding raisin bread in the living room. over and over. i lost track.

how was he gaining the upper hand? i'll tell you. it's so simple, it's laughable.

he kept calling to me.

mama.

and then running out to me. before you pity my weakness, can i just tell you one more thing? i've waited for this.

not even a week after lucas was diagnosed on the autism spectrum, we had family visiting for christmas. my brother-in-law and his wife came out from texas with their little boy who none of us had met yet. he was 14 months old, and adorable. he was toddling around and showing toys to his parents. he was marveling at everything. he was imitating words. but, most heartbreaking to me... he was calling for his mom. often. looking for her when she left the room.

in what felt like sharp contrast, lucas was relatively silent, although almost a full year older. he didn't call to me and rarely seemed to notice where i was. it was particularly obvious, earlier in the week, during his assessment. i remembered the task from the twins' assessments, but it didn't make it any easier. i was asked to call to lucas while out of his line of vision and while he was engaged in another activity. first, i have to say his name in a regular voice. then, slightly louder. then, with excitement, as though i have a treat for him.

he doesn't turn. he doesn't look.

it was. it is excruciating.

we have hit some major milestones since christmas 2006. lucas is talking quite a bit. he imitates words. he sings along to the radio. he greets his tutors. he kisses me when i lean my face toward him.

but, last night was the first night he called for me. like he only wanted me. like i was the only one who knew how to tuck him in. like he wanted to know where i was.

and i know what the parenting books say. and i know it's going to cost me hours of sleep in the future. and i don't care. after midnight last night, i was curled up, like a giant on a barbie-sized bed next to a very sleepy lucas. i thought about sneaking out, but every now and then, he would raise his head and look for me. then reach out his hand to touch my face. and i cried. because it's even better than i thought it would be.


8 comments:

  1. That is just beautiful. <3 May you have many more such sleepless nights... and I hope you know I say that with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, absolutely beautiful. I am teary. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, sarah and stacey. i know you love your babies like i love mine. isn't being a parent amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priceless that he called for you - and that you heard him. Sometimes the best things in life..............

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted something earlier...dang it. I had some teary eyes to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good job mama, you've both worked so hard. i know there will be many more success stories you will have to share and dec 2006 will seem so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I emailed your blog story to my sisters and my Mom, I included a link to your blog, I hope they follow. You make me want to be a parent Steph. You should know that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you guys are all so sweet! i'm a lucky girl to have friends like you...

    @ oma- thanks, mom. you are good to my boys and have always been good to me.

    @ jacob- i wish i could have seen your earlier comment... thank you for commenting a second time. i value your opinion, and i'm glad you liked the post. wait, tears = good, right?

    @ k- i know you know what i'm describing, here. thanks for encouraging me to write, i know that i won't ever want to forget these moments.

    @ colby- thank you for forwarding me along. i love you. i hope you will be a parent someday, because you would be one awesome dad. may i give the baby shower?

    ReplyDelete