Monday, June 28, 2010

hands full

isn't it kind of strange when people say, "wow. you've got your hands full" ?

i feel like i hear that a lot. depending on how it's said and who says it, it sounds like it might mean:

a. better you than me.

b. that looks like hard work. and everyone knows hard work is awful and to be avoided at all costs.

c. you are awesome and completely capable.

frankly, i prefer to think people mean "c" even if their tone of voice really sounds more like "a" or "b". but the phrase always makes me feel uncomfortable, maybe because:

a. if it's in reference to my boys, well, i like what i've got.

b. i like my job.

c. empty hands steal stuff.

actually, 8 1/2 years ago, i did have empty hands. and you know what you would have caught me doing with them?

a. rocking 5 lb bags of flour in the grocery line.

b. patting a loaf of bread's pillowy bottom.

c. flipping through the pages of martha stewart's baby magazine in my car on my lunch break.

my empty hands knew what they were missing. so, i'll take them full, thanks.



how lucas keeps his hands full

5 comments:

  1. Amen. I never quite know how to react to the "You have your hands full" comment... And I hope if I have said it to anyone, that my tone was "C".

    ReplyDelete
  2. stacey, i'm sure you always gave it the "c" tone. you are a compassionate person, and sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph...I'll just say your post brought a tear to my eye, and I guess I've also got to say "you go girl!" XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel sorry for people with empty hands

    ReplyDelete